The EDLC that appeared several decades ago made it possible to use capacitors in an electric circuit not only as a converting element. They got another role - a voltage source. The ultracapacitor often replaces the batteries when it is necessary to store information about the characteristics of the product, if there is no external power.
Ultracapacitors have several important advantages over conventional chemical power sources (the same batteries):
- speed of charging and discharging;
-simple charger design;
- slight degradation with prolonged use. You can buy a ultracapacitor, use it for several years, produce thousands of charge / discharge cycles, and it will practically not lose performance;
- low weight in comparison with electrolytic capacitors of the same capacity. Because of this, the need for an EDLC to buy often appears in the manufacture of modern compact devices;
- the use of slightly toxic materials. The ultracapacitor is disposed of much easier than the same battery with sulfuric acid and lead;
- lack of polarity. You can connect the EDLC in any direction. However, there is still a plus and minus on it, which indicates the polarity of the residual voltage after charging the energy source at the manufacturer.
Today, a ultracapacitor can be bought to solve many practical problems. Of course, he is not yet able to completely replace traditional energy sources. This is due to the features of the device and the operation of such batteries. However, manufacturers are constantly improving their performance, and the price installed on the ultracapacitor is becoming more attractive every year.